Dear Students, Parents and Caregivers,
We are looking forward to welcoming our students and families back to school on September 6th. The purpose of this message is to provide you with the details of our first day of school at Howe Sound Secondary School on September 6th, 2022.
Please note that our first day will consist of a staggered start based on the following schedule:
- Grade 10 students will attend from 8:58 am to 11:00 am
- Grade 11 and 12 students will attend from 1:30 am 3:15 pm
Our Grade 10 students will need to be at their bus stop for their usual morning pick-up time. Please visit our website here to view the bus schedule for 2022/2023. Our Grade 11 and 12 students can consult our September 6th bus schedule here for approximate pick up times for the first day of school only. Please arrive a few minutes earlier than the posted time as these are approximate times only.
For the 2022-2023 school year, School District No.48 is pleased to introduce a new bus registration system and fully implement a bus pass program for all student riders. The bus pass program is designed to enhance our safe, effective and efficient transportation system. All students who seek bus transportation are now required to register annually to receive a bus pass and to have a bus seat allocated to them. Please visit the SD 48 website here to access the registration form and for more details about ridership.
Schedule for the Day
- Upon arrival at school, Grade 10 students will enter the building and head directly to our theatre.
- Grade 10 students will be greeted by our administration team and will promptly join their A block teachers, proceeding through a mini block rotation and receive a copy of their 2022/2023 course schedule.
- Grade 10 students will be dismissed at 11:00 am.
- Upon arrival at school, Grade 11 and 12 students will head directly to their A block class for a 1:30 pm start time. Students can find their A block room number in the MyEd Portal starting September 1st. Student lists with A block room numbers will also be posted in alpha order at the bus loop and in the Learning Commons (MPR).
- Once students are in their A block classes, they will receive a copy of their 2022/2023 course schedule.
- Grade 11 and 12 students will be dismissed at 3:15 pm.
- Wednesday, September 7th will be a full day of school. Our block rotation for the week will be A-B-C-D
Student fees are $15 and help support many of our school groups, most notable of which are the leadership and athletic leadership groups who organize many school-based functions and activities throughout the year. The student fees also include lock and locker rental as well as a student ID card.
Parents are able to pay student fees through SchoolCashOnline here beginning on August 31st. In order to use this feature, the school must have your email address on file. After paying the student fee, there will be a 24-hour delay before students will be able to select a locker. This can be done through our Locker Assignment website here. Your child’s student number is both the user id and password.
Fees may also be paid at the school office by cash or cheque made payable to Howe Sound Secondary School.
MyEd Parent Portal Information
To access the MyEd Parent portal, please click here. You can access course schedules and report cards when they are published throughout the school year.
Communicable Disease Plan Updates
We will be updating our communicable disease plan for the first day for classes. It is important to note that staff and students will continue to follow hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette. The wearing of masks is a personal choice. Once our plan has been updated, it will be posted to our school website.
Thank you for your attention to this email. Please contact me via email or by phone at the school if you have questions regarding any of the information above.
Ms. Erin Boisvert (she/her)
Principal – Howe Sound Secondary School
Sea to Sky Alternate Program
With respect and gratitude I acknowledge the ancestral and unceded territories of the Skwxwú7mesh, Lil’wat and St’at’imc Nations where I live and learn.